Yoga is one of the most ancient practices in India and the world. Its effective and impressive benefits have made it extremely popular and worthy. It has the solution to every health problem whether it is physical, mental or spiritual.
Easy methods, logics, and long term effects are the main reasons behind the huge trust people have on Yoga.
One very interesting fact about Yoga is it is free of any side-effects that make it safe from any other methods and solutions. Nowadays, Yoga has become very popular in almost every health issue. Its range covers health issues like back pains, lack of sleep, diarrhoea to even serious health problems like Asthma, Cancer, Cardiac dysfunctioning, sexual weakness, obesity, indigestion, etc.
When talked about Yoga and its popularity, Baba Ramdev is the first person that most of us can think of. He is one of those very few people who have emphasized Yoga and its benefits for a very long time when no one was interested in it.
Baba Ramdev has given the world something that can be called Modern yoga and spread it worldwide. His teaching is extremely popular in youth and is more advanced and versatile.
He is the founder of DivyaYoga Mandir Trust and also comes in the morning show of Aastha TV.
From many health problems, Weight loss is also one that Baba Ramdev has addressed in his teachings and has even given a list of Yoga asanas for getting rid of this. The asanas are very helpful in weight loss if performed correctly and regularly.
Yoga Asanas for Weight Loss by Baba Ramdev
As we all know, Yoga asanas are some special poses performed by an individual with a proper breathing technique for some moment to feel pressure or stress at some particular points of the body to make them function better.
Therefore, Yoga recommended by Baba Ramdev are some active asanas that focus on cardiovascular strength and increase movement and flexibility.
Some top asanas for weight loss are:
Paschimottasana (Forward bending type Yoga pose)
This seated forward bend pose is a very useful pose for increasing appetite and reducing obesity. It calms the brain and stretches the muscles of the whole body. Regular performing of this yoga asana can cure many health problems.
How to do Paschimottasana
- Sit with back straight and legs stretched out while keeping the legs flexed in your direction.
- Now raise your hands and start taking a deep breath.
- Then bend forward folding the hip joints and exhale the air slowly while completing the bend.
- Try stretching out the arms as much as possible.
- Keep repeating the same few times. Then return to the original position.
Benefits of Paschimottasana
- It helps to calm the mind and soul.
- It enhances blood flow and increases stretchability.
- It promotes fat burn of the belly region and reduces weight.
- It helps in the reduction of pain and tightness in hamstrings.
Vakrasana (Half Lord of the Fishes Pose)
This asana is a simpler version of Ardha Matsyendrasana and is performed to gain spinal strength and reduce body fat.
How to do Vakrasana
- Sit on a plain floor with back and legs straight and stretched.
- Let your hands rest on your thigh with the palm facing downwards.
- Bend the right leg from knee making inverted V of the alphabet.
- Now, move your right hand behind your back on the floor to a point when it is fully stretched and your spines get twisted.
- Then, take your left hand and put it normally on your right knee that is raised already.
- Stay like this for 10-15 seconds and then return to the original position slowly.
- Repeat the same with the left leg.
Benefits of Vakrasana
- This asana is beneficial for back pain and kidney problems.
- It reduces the fat of the belly area and hands.
- It gives relief in the stiffness of the vertebrae area.
- It improves digestion by increasing the secretion of digestive juices.
Malasana (Squat Pose)
This asana is somewhat like an old excretion position that looks like squats people usually do. This asana is a little difficult for those who are physically not much active due to excessive weight gain. It is advised to perform this asana early in the morning without eating anything. It is mainly for the lower portion of the body and also known as Garland pose.
How to do Malasana (Squat Pose)
- Stand straight and start bringing the feet slightly apart. This should be a little wider than the hip-width.
- Then join hands like “namaskar”.
- Now, sit your hips as low as possible to be with being comfortable.
- Stay like that for some seconds or till you can and then return to the original standing position.
Benefits of Malasana
- It helps to increase the flexibility of the thigh, hips, ankles, and torso.
- It increases the blood circulation in the pelvic region which can help in regulating sexual energy.
- It reduces thigh and hip fat.
Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand Yoga Pose)
Sarvangasana is called “Mother of Asanas” due to its immense health benefits and all body involvement. It is one of the best Baba Ramdev Asanas for reducing weight and is good for entire body functions and activities.
How to do Sarvangasana
- Simply lie down with body facing upward and legs stretched normally and hands placed at both sides a little outward.
- Then by exerting force from feet on the floor and support of your hands, lift both legs in the air.
- Continue taking the body upward with support of the hands till your shoulder.
- The upward part should be vertically straight in the air and elbow should give proper support to the joining part of the body where upward lifted part and lying down part meets.
- Keep breathing and hold the pose for about 45-50 minutes.
Benefits of Sarvangasana
- It reduces the accumulated fat of hips, belly, arms, thigh, and feet.
- It improves eyesight and reduces hair fall.
- It increases the blood circulation of the brain.
Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
This asana is especially beneficial for shoulders and upper back. It increases the flexibility of shoulder muscles and reduces fat around that area. The strain this asana gives on the stomach increases the digestion process.
How to do Bhujangasana
- For performing Bhujangasana, first, lie down on the floor or mattress on the stomach and touching the whole body to the ground including the forehead.
- Now keep both the palms (of hands) spread on the floor below shoulder joints and press your toes (of the foot) against the ground to get the friction.
- Now start taking a breath and raising chest and face above the ground keeping region below the pelvic area touched to the floor.
- Most of your weight would exert on your hands. Keep in this position for 7-10 seconds with holding the breath.
- Bring your face and chest again to the ground while exhaling slowly.
- Then relax your shoulder, hands and other stretched parts.
Benefits of Bhujangasana
- This asana improves the metabolism of the body and helps in increasing the haemoglobin in the blood.
- It is very important to lose upper body weight especially of shoulders and upper back.
- It tones up the abdominal muscles.
Titliasana (Butterfly Pose)
Also known as Baddha Konasana, this asana is one of the best poses and exercises for increasing the flexibility of the lower body. It tones up the groin and hip region due to the leg movement involved in it. Probably, this is the most suitable asana for reducing thigh fat.
How to do Titliasana
- At first, sit straight with legs spread out straight.
- Now, bring both your feet towards your pelvis by folding knees in such a way that both the soles touch each other.
- Now grab them with your hands underneath them to give them support.
- With your hands support, try to bring the soles closer to your pelvic region and take a breath.
- Move both the legs downward in the same position and start flapping them like butterfly wings.
- First, do it gradually and then increase the speed as per your convenience.
- Inhale and exhale continuously with the flapping.
Benefits of Titliasana
- It helps in maintaining the bowel movement and keeps the intestines healthy.
- Helpful in Menstrual pain relief and reduces the discomfort.
- It is highly recommendable for those with oversized thighs and lower abdominal fat.
Vrikshasana (Willow Pose)
Vrikshasana is a very interesting asana for increasing balance and coordination. This asana involves almost every muscle and the core of the body. It helps in rejuvenation and increasing concentration along with losing weight.
How to do Vrikshasana
- Stand straight in Mountain pose keeping arms by your side in a relaxing position.
- Bend the right leg above the floor and keep it on the knee side at the endpoint of the thigh of the left unfolded leg.
- Try to maintain the balance and once achieved, take a deep breath and move your both hands above shoulders.
- Join hands like ‘Namaste’ gesture and stare at any distant object keeping the concentration.
- Relax the body a little each time you exhale.
Benefits of Vrikshasana
- It makes the leg muscles strong and widens the hips.
- When performed for a longer time, it builds inner and outer health.
- It is effective in the treatment of Sciatica.
Pavanmuktasana (Wind Releasing Pose)
This asana is especially for releasing gas of stomach that prevents constipation and unnecessary accumulation of fat in the belly section. It is advised to perform in the morning. It also aids in increasing the flexibility of spinal muscles.
How to do Pavanmuktasana
- To do Pavanmuktasana, initially lie down on your back and keep legs and hands straight but relaxed.
- Now, raise your legs above bending from knees towards your chest.
- Inhale while bringing them.
- At the time of exhale, bend your head while lifting it above and bring the nose close to your knee.
- Hold the position for some seconds and then bring the head down.
Benefits of Pavanmuktasana
- This asana helps in the cure of all indigestion related problems.
- It increases back flexibility and tones the muscles of legs and arms.
- Fat of buttock, thigh, and abdomen can successfully be burnt by this asana.
Markatasana (Monkey Pose)
It is a spinal twist yoga pose known for increasing flexibility and reducing extra fat of the lower spinal region. This is one of the best Baba Ramdev Yoga asanas for weight loss and is extremely easy to perform as well.
How to do Markatasana
- Lie on your back and spread both your hands at the level of your shoulder and open palms.
- Then fold your right leg inward from your knee and twist the left side as much as you can.
- After turning the left side, turn neck towards the right and hold this exact position for a few seconds.
- Now, while exhaling, come to the starting position.
- Then repeat the same steps for opposite legs. This will be on a cycle.
- Repeat this for about 15-20 times.
Benefits of Markatasana
- This yoga asana helps in curing spinal pain.
- It is useful in the treatment and controlling diabetes.
- It brings flexibility to the spinal region.
Makarasana (Crocodile pose)
This is a relaxing pose that includes the stretch of all body and stress is especially felt abdominal region and legs. This asana is recommended to be performed at the last of performing all other yoga asanas and helps remove excessive strain from the body.
How to perform Makarasana
- Lie on the plain floor with your front downwards.
- Now fold your both hands from the elbow and keep them joined behind your head.
- Slowly, start raising your upper body in the air and keep your head straight forward and a little up.
- Then spread your legs a little apart and start raising them.
- Try keeping only the stomach on the ground and everything else in the air.
- Take a deep breath while raising your head and legs and hold it till you hold the asana start feeling relaxed.
- Now, breathe out and slowly come to the original lying down position.
Benefits of Makarasana
- It is very helpful in reducing belly fat.
- It increases flexibility.
- It helps getting rid of pain in shoulders and neck.
Some Other Useful Asanas for Weight loss
- Paripurna Navasana (Full Boat Pose)
- Anjaneyasana (Half Moon Pose)
- Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend)
- Halasana (Plow Pose)
- Gaumukhasana (Cow Face Pose)
- Mandukasana (Frog Pose)
- Marjariasana (Cat Pose)
- Trikonasana (Extended Triangle Pose)
- Those with any kind of spinal injury in past or present should avoid these yoga asanas without doctor’s advice.
- At the time of menstruation, women should avoid Sarvangasana.
- Do not force your body beyond its limit in the beginning. Otherwise, it may cause a severe sprain or muscle injury. Take it easy in the beginning.
- Always use Yoga mattress for performing asana and the floor should be plain and not rough.
- Performing these yoga poses solely would not help you lose weight. A proper healthy diet is also mandatory to lose weight.
- Consult an instructor if you have any confusion regarding how to perform a particular asana.